Friday, March 30, 2012

How can I connect to a remote sql server using windows authentication?

It is simple

1- I open the Sql Server 2005 Management Studio

2- I select Windows Authentication from the drop down.

3- I cannot write the user name and password, it chooses the default once, the one I am logged in with!

But I am in a virtual machine outside the domain controller, I can access shares on machines that are on the domain controller, thanks to the file sharing of windows, but I cannot login to sql server, thanks to a meaningless restriction on that dialog :-)

Now, how can I still use the Windows Authentication and login, how can I avoid the sql server authentication?

If you are outside domain, then you should use SQL Authentication.|||

Ok, then why the text boxes for the user name and password are still there if I choose the Windows authentication, and the text boxes have the user name already filled in, and all are disabled.

What is the point of having those there? In my case, I was trying to find a way to enable them from the settings; I guess just a false hope.

And why cannot I use the windows authentication? NTFS does allow me to do it and access the file system from outside the domain using windows authentication against the domain, what does make sql server more special?

|||

The reason for the textbox is just to let you know which Windows account is being used to connect to SQL Server using Windows authentication. To access SQL Server using SQL authentication, click the Authentication drop-down to see the SQL Server Authentication option. You'll see the User name and Password textboxes enabled.

If you want to use Windows authentication, the easiest way is to join your SQL Server to your domain.

|||

Thank you for the help, but I know how to use the SQL Server authentication, and the SQL Server is the development server and it is on the domain.

My virtual machine is the development machine, it is a virtual machine and it cannot join the domain, it must stay as it is, the real machine is on the domain, but the virtual machine that I am trying to use is not.

From the virtual machine I can do lots of things, including accessing the file system and the intranet sites on the domain, using the domain authentication box, or cached credentials, but I cannot do that with the SQL Server.

|||

if you want an nt authentication

then you must promote your virtual machine to a domain controller

No comments:

Post a Comment